Our next work party at Sharphill Wood will be on Sunday 25th July. We hope to see you there, but please let us know beforehand if possible.
Please make sure you read the detailed information on Covid-19 precautions at the end of this invitation.
When: Sunday 25th June, meeting at 09.45 until about lunch time.
Who: No experience necessary and there’s always something to do even if you can’t do heavy work. Young people aged 16 or 17 must have the written permission of a parent or guardian, and children under 16 must be accompanied. Vulnerable adults must be accompanied by their carer.
Where: Meeting point will be the entrance from Peveril Drive, 09.45, or find us in the woods if you arrive later.
What: We will be doing a bit more clearing of vegetation encroaching on paths, and will also take time to learn more about the building developments in the area, how these might impact the Wood, and mitigation measures that we hope will be put in place. If time and sufficient volunteers, we will also do some more path edging.
How: Relevant training will be given where necessary.
Safety: All volunteers must pay attention to the safety of themselves and others. A Risk Assessment will be prepared and will be available for inspection on the day. Please respect all decisions of the work party leader.
Other Useful Info:
· Please wear suitable gardening clothes and sturdy footwear. Covering arms and legs might be advisable to help avoid insect bites, ticks, stings, scratches, etc.. Also the use of insect repellent might be appropriate, particularly from spring through to early autumn.
· Also bring gardening gloves and other items listed under Covid-19 precautions at the end of this email.
· If you could bring a pair of garden shears, that would be useful but is not essential.
· Bring a drink. We will stop for a break mid-morning.
· Waterproofs / sun-cream would be useful to cover every weather eventuality!
· It is highly recommended that you ensure your tetanus vaccinations are up-to-date.
Please advise the leader of any pre-existing condition that should be taken into account in the event of a medical emergency during the work party.
Please: Let us know (by replying to this email) if you hope to attend, so that we can allocate a place and ensure an appropriate supply of tools. Also look out for any further emails in case arrangements change.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CHANGES TO ARRANGEMENTS TO TAKE ACCOUNT OF COVID-19
- Please stay away if you or anyone in your household has any Covid-like symptoms or are required to self-isolate. Those classed as clinically vulnerable should give careful consideration to their attendance.
- You must bring your own gardening gloves – we are unable to provide these for hygiene reasons. Note that some tasks may require thorn-resistant gloves. Please bear in mind that gloves may become contaminated, so take precautions and either wash them or leave them to quarantine after the work party.
- Please consider any areas of your body that need protection against branches, etc., including your eyes – we are unable to provide eye protection for hygiene reasons.
- Please consider bringing your own first aid kit, although we will have one available. In the unfortunate event of an accident, we may ask you to self-administer first aid, where feasible, although we will have face masks available if we need to come close.
- We will try to minimise sharing of tools, wheelbarrows, etc., but wipes will be available for cleaning between uses. We also recommend bringing your own wipes to minimise sharing of the dispenser.
- We recommend bringing hand sanitiser and using as appropriate, particularly before eating/drinking and at the end of the work party – we will have some available but it is better not to share the dispenser.
- If you can bring your own tools relevant to the tasks in hand (see above), that would help to avoid sharing.
- We will not operate a signing-in sheet, by means of which you would normally acknowledge that you have been shown the risk assessments for the tasks in hand and the personal protection equipment (PPE) available to ensure your safety while performing those tasks. In lieu of this, when you book a place we will send you the relevant information by email.
- Please maintain social distancing (from each other and from members of the public) at all times.